The Federation of Small Businesses has published a report on Small Businesses and Planning.
Based on a survey of FSB members the report seeks a planning system that reduces barriers for small businesses, and allows them a greater say in local planning. The reports key recommendations are:
- For Government to work closely with small businesses to ensure the measures introduced in the new planning system properly address the planning barriers small businesses face.
- Provide greater clarity on the role of Local Economic Partnerships (LEPs), and ensure small businesses are properly represented on LEPs.
- Ensure the new presumption in favour of sustainable development is streamlined and free of unnecessary delay.
- Adopt a town centre first approach in national policy.
- Consider carefully risks to supply of business premises as a result of changes to the Use Classes.
- Develop a guide to help businesses through the planing system.
- Speed up processing of minor planning applications.
- Local councils should make sure local plans are up to date and make greater use of Local Development Orders to allow small businesses to grow.
If you are a small business and need help with the planning system, planning application, or want to know more about LEPs, and the upcoming changes to the planning system give Mick a call on 01282 872572 or email your query.
Kirkwells are members of the FSB and the FSB report can be downloaded here.
©Kirkwells Town Planners and Sustainable Development Consultants based at the Lancashire Digital Technology Centre in Burnley www.kirkwells.co.uk
Research • Planning Policy • Site Search • Site Appraisal • Planning Applications • Appeals • Sustainable Development • Urban Design • Masterplanning • Heritage Statements • Bids for Funding • Neighbourhood Planning • Community Right to Build • Community Engagement • Training
Read more: Latest Planning News